SWAMI DAYANANDA: FEBUARY 12 BIRTH ANNIVERSARY
- Febuary 12 is the birth anniversary of Swami Dayananda. Dayanand Saraswati was a Hindu religious leader , a renowned scholar of the Vedic lore and Sanskrit language.
- Swami Dayananda (Mool Shankar) founded the Arya Samaj, a socio-cultural movement that promoted true Vedic learning and worked for the upliftment of the society. It aimed at reforming the society by making the people aware of true Vedic knowledge.
- A fearless reformer, he wrote the book ‘Satyarth Prakash’. He fought for equal rights for all and emphasized on social upliftment of women and the so-called lower caste. He denounced superstitions and condemned practices such as animal sacrifices.
- Swami Dayanand Saraswati opposed many oppressed practices of Hindu tradition and insisted upon going back to the Vedas. He worked for abolishing several social stigmas such as child marriage and Casteism.
- Arya Samaj worked for the cause of women education through schools by the early 1890s. In addition to that, Swami Dayanand Saraswati encouraged the remarriage of widows and raised his voice against this social stigma.
- Dayanand made his first attempt on social reforms by establishment of gurukuls or Vedic schools.This introduced a social regeneration in terms of Vedic culture in India. Swami, through schools wanted to abolish hereditary and uplift the masses by means of education. DAV Schools were result of this reform.